BEWARE! Deadly to Dogs
By Yvonne Moore
We all know the danger to our dogs should they consume chocolate, grapes, raisins or onions. There is another danger, Xylitol, which is a sugar substitute found in sugar free products such as chewing gum, mints, toothpaste, mouth washes & some pharmaceuticals. Its been in these products for quite some time. It is now coming on to the market in baked goods and it's on the grocery store shelves for consumers to use in home cooking or baking.
It's safe for humans but it's deadly for dogs. In dogs it causes a rapid drop in blood sugar, seizures, vomiting, ataxia, coma & liver failure. If you suspect your dog has consumed a Xylitol containing product, contact you Vet immediately, as the dog is going to need treatment if he's indeed eaten Xylitol.
My Vet warned me about this recently. He feels this is going to be a huge problem for our dog population in the very near future.
I Googled it recently & was shocked at how dangerous this stuff is for dogs & how many products contain Xylitol. If you use sugar free chewing gum, or any other sugar free products, be very careful.
Please be aware that Slug Pellets are poisonous to your dog & may result in death if eaten. They are also poisonous to other four
legged inhabitants of the garden, although, the packaging may not carry a clear 'danger' warning.
There are other ways of protecting your favourite plants from slugs, a beer trap for example, and any keen gardner will be more than
happy to help you devise ways to defeat the slugs without the use of pellets.